I’ve been working14-hour days, if you don’t include the driving time, while commissioning a new processing plant in West Texas, for the past few weeks. Kitty is still on her European trip (I should mention here that those two activities are exactly alike, only different). Therefore, you get a post I wrote three years ago. Kitty and I were roommates on a cruise put together by our friend Jeff Wagg and sponsored by the James Randi Educational Foundation. I wrote some short blogposts during the trip. I like this one, mainly because of the great shot of Randi in the middle of a great story. Blog post below.
One morning this week, during our cruise through the Mexican Riviera, my friends Kitty, Susan (wife of Robert Lancaster aka StopSyliva.com) and I were enjoying breakfast when Randi wandered by, claiming to be on the hunt for rich widows. None of us qualified, but he decided that, in a pinch we would do, and joined us. As is usual with Randi, he held court, and shared stories of his adventures. However, the breakfast was amazing in that we actually got in word in edgewise! Most of the meal was spent making fun of the truly awful stage magician we had seen on the ship earlier in the week. Randi sat on the front row, unnoticed by “LaRaf”, surrounded by his entourage. Many of our group are either amateur magicians or have seen enough of Randi’s demonstrations to know what to look for during a show, and even I was able to see the set-ups. As we exited the theater for dinner, we decided that being appalled really works up an appetite.
- Martin Gardner’s Desk: A humble desk, generations of genius (twodifferentgirls.com)
- Magic and Science: the debunking alliance (quantumgag.wordpress.com)
- An Honest Liar: The Amazing Randi Story (milkandcookies.com)
- James Randi Broadcast Live to 36 Locations in Italy (randi.org)
- Friends and Flying Pigs (twodifferentgirls.com)
- James Randi on Magicians and the Security Mindset (schneier.com)
- The JREF Forum Scholarship, and an Internet Family (twodifferentgirls.com)
- The James Randi Educational Foundation Gives Teachers a Hand (wired.com)
- The Amaz!ng Meeting 2012 – Lock in Savings by April 30 (randi.org)
- How Neuroscientists and Magicians Are Conjuring Brain Insights (blogs.scientificamerican.com)